For patients undergoing Rhinoplasty or nose surgery in Stuart, FL, Dr. Avron recommends following the below instructions, both prior to and following your surgery.
- Consult with several board certified plastic surgeons. Ensure your doctor has the appropriate credentials and frequently performs rhinoplasties.
- Stop smoking for at least two to four weeks before surgery. Nicotine can inhibit healing.
- Stop taking aspirin, ibuprofen, vitamin E, and herbal supplements two weeks before and two weeks after your rhinoplasty surgery.
- Fill your prescriptions before surgery.
- Make sure you have plenty of lip balm and cool beverages on hand (your mouth will get VERY dry from breathing through it).
- Ensure you have help at home post-operatively, including a driver post-op and an assistant at home to fetch beverages and light snacks.
- Clarify all your preoperative expectations with your plastic surgeon – ensure you are on the same page.
- Preoperative anxiety is normal and can be greatly alleviated by scheduling another appointment and speaking with your plastic surgeon.
- Do anything strenuous that needs to be done before surgery. You’ll want to avoid heavy lifting for at least three weeks post-op.
- Elevating your head of bed will decrease post-operative swelling.
- A cold pack over the eyes will decrease swelling around the the periorbital area.
- You will be seen on post-op day 1 or 2 by your doctor.
- Avoid bumping the nose (pets, bed mates, small children: watch out!), avoid workouts and straining for two weeks.
- A low salt diet will decrease fluid retention and therefore minimize swelling.
- Drink clear liquids on the day after surgery and soft food for 1 week post op.
- Don’t wear glasses the usual way for four weeks following rhinoplasty. You may wear contact lenses or wear glasses taped to your forehead taking pressure off the bridge of the nose.
- Nose blowing:
- Rhinoplasty without septoplasty: May blow nose with care at 2 weeks after surgery
- Rhinoplasty with septoplasty: May blow nose with care at 4-6 weeks after surgery
- Rhinoplasty with septal perforation repair: May blow nose with care at 12 weeks after surgery
- Pain medication should be taken as scheduled, before pain even starts for the first 48-72 hours. Then, limit your pain medication schedule and take as needed.
- Your final result will take several months to appear. Swelling is common for 6 weeks post operatively. Breathing will slowly normalize and improve over time. Your final result may take up to 1 year before you are completely healed.